PRE-PLANNING MOVING DAY
- Make are sure all entryways, doorways, porches and driveways are clear.
- If you live in a building with elevators, be sure to notify the management or HOA in advance that you will need use of the elevators.
- Be sure to set aside a box or bag of personal items that you will need immediately in your new home. Take this with you when you travel.
- At least one person should be present during the loading process. Drivers and other personnel may have questions or need access that only you can provide.
A Smooth Move can handle all your packing needs for you, but if you do decide to do your own packing, here are a few professional tips to help:
When packing valuable electronics, special care needs to be taken. If you no longer have the original packaging for items such as televisions, use a sturdy carton with plenty of newsprint or bubble wrap. Label the carton “Extremely Fragile.”
For computer equipment:
- Back up computer files onto external storage device
- Disconnect all wires and cables.
- For printers, detach paper holders and remove ink cartridges.
- Treat monitors as you would television screens
Wine collections can be valuable personal items and require special care. Large, high-value collections should be moved in climate-controlled vehicles. Small collections can be transported in a car or van. Professional movers are experienced at packing wine correctly, including storing the wine on its side. If you are packing wine yourself, obtain specially designed wine-packing boxes. Dri-ice may also be purchased at your local grocery store for climate control during the move process.